Tom Lane wrote:
Gregory Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
We previously discussed compressing the numeric data type for small values:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-06/msg00715.php

We didn't do this for 8.3 but in any case Tom did suggest we ought to reverse
the weight and sign/dscale so we could do this sometime without introducing
another incompatibility.

I had forgotten about that, but it does seem like a good idea to do it now.
Any objections?

For in-place upgrade purpose It would be good change also OID for numeric type and preserve current OID for current implementation on updated system.

                Zdenek