Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I came up with the following patch.  What this does is cancel any
> ANALYZE started by autovacuum, at the top of ALTER TABLE.

There's a small race condition, autoanalyze could start between the
calls autovac_cancel_analyze and relation_open.

And it doesn't solve the problem for autovacuum. Or other commands than
ALTER TABLE, like CLUSTER.

> There is a new function relation_openrv_cav().  This is the same as
> relation_openrv, except that it will also cancel analyzes.  I'm still
> wondering if I should merge the two and have a third boolean argument to
> specify whether to do the cancel.

I like it better the way you have it now.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas

                http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate