"Florian G. Pflug" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> What is the argument against making relfilenodes globally unique by adding
> the
> xid and epoch of the creating transaction to the filename?

1. Zero chance of ever backpatching.  (I know I said I wasn't excited
   about that, but it's still a strike against a proposed fix.)

2. Adds new fields to RelFileNode, which will be a major code change,
   and possibly a noticeable performance hit (bigger hashtable keys).

3. Adds new columns to pg_class, which is a real PITA ...

4. Breaks oid2name and all similar code that knows about relfilenode.

       match