Hi,

According to https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server :

> effective_cache_size should be set to an estimate of how much memory is
> available for disk caching by the operating system and within the database
> itself, after taking into account what's used by the OS itself and other
> applications.

I intend to run a java application and postgres server in the same
server machine. The java application requires 2 GB RAM max.

Considering that our server machine has 4 GB RAM, should I reduce the
effective_cache_size to say 768 MB or am I better off with the default
4 GB value?

This is particularly confusing because in this thread Tom Lane says
the following

> I see no problem with a value of say 4GB;
> that's very unlikely to be worse than the pre-9.4 default (128MB) on any
> modern machine.

PS : I got the value 768 MB from https://pgtune.leopard.in.ua/#/ by
giving 1 GB as the amount of memory postgres can use.

Regards,
Nanda