"Rigmor Ukuhe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> query: select "NP_ID" from a WHERE "NP_ID" > '0'  [is slow]
>
> query: select "NP_ID" from a WHERE "NP_ID" > '1'  [is fast]
>
> There are about 37K rows and only about 100 of then are not "NP_ID" = 0

Yeah, it's scanning over all the zero values when you say "> 0" :-(

This is fixed for 7.5:

        * src/: backend/access/nbtree/nbtinsert.c,
        backend/access/nbtree/nbtpage.c, backend/access/nbtree/nbtsearch.c,
        include/access/nbtree.h: Improve btree's
        initial-positioning-strategy code so that we never need to step
        more than one entry after descending the search tree to arrive at
        the correct place to start the scan.  This can improve the behavior
        substantially when there are many entries equal to the chosen
        boundary value.  Per suggestion from Dmitry Tkach, 14-Jul-03.

                        regards, tom lane

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend