On Apr 19, 2004, at 8:01 PM, Tom Lane wrote: [test case]

Quad P3-700Mhz, ServerWorks, pg 7.4.2 - 1 process: 10-30 cs / second
                                                                           2 process:
100k cs / sec
                                                                   3 process: 140k cs
/ sec
                                                                   8 process: 115k cs
/ sec

Dual P2-450Mhz, non-serverworks (piix)  - 1 process 15-20 / sec
                                                                    2 process 30k / sec
                                                                  3 (up to 7) process:
15k /sec

(Yes, I verified with more processes the cs's drop)

And finally,

6 cpu sun e4500, solaris 2.6, pg 7.4.2: 1 - 10 processes: hovered between 2-3k cs/second (there was other stuff running on the machine as well)

Verrry interesting.
I've got a dual G4 at home, but for convenience Apple doesn't ship a vmstat that tells context switches

--
Jeff Trout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.jefftrout.com/

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?