        From: Bjoern Metzdorf [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Tue 5/11/2004 3:06 PM
        To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Cc: Pgsql-Admin (E-mail)
        Subject: [PERFORM] Quad processor options

        Hi,

        I am curious if there are any real life production quad processor setups
        running postgresql out there. Since postgresql lacks a proper
        replication/cluster solution, we have to buy a bigger machine.

        Right now we are running on a dual 2.4 Xeon, 3 GB Ram and U160 SCSI
        hardware-raid 10.

        Has anyone experiences with quad Xeon or quad Opteron setups? I am
        looking at the appropriate boards from Tyan, which would be the only
        option for us to buy such a beast. The 30k+ setups from Dell etc. don't
        fit our budget.

        I am thinking of the following:

        Quad processor (xeon or opteron)
        5 x SCSI 15K RPM for Raid 10 + spare drive
        2 x IDE for system
        ICP-Vortex battery backed U320 Hardware Raid
        4-8 GB Ram

        Would be nice to hear from you.

        Regards,
        Bjoern