Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:

All these replies are really interesting, but the point is not that my
RAIDs are too slow, or that my CPUs are too slow. My point is that, for
long stretches of time, by database doesn't come anywhere near using the
capacity of the hardware. And I think that's odd and would like to
config it to "false".

What motherboard are you using, and what distro? Earlier you mentioned that you're on linux 2.6.7 and
a 64-bit Opteron 244 machine with 8GB main memory, two 4-disk RAID5 arrays (one for
database, one for xlogs).

Also, did you have a chance to test performance before you implemented RAID?

Ron

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend