1) pgpool does the load balance and sends query to Slony-I's slave and
  master if the query is SELECT.

2) pgpool sends query only to the master if the query is other than
  SELECT.

Remaining problem is that Slony-I is not a sync replication
solution. Thus you need to prepare that the load balanced query
results might differ among servers.

If there's enough demand, I would do such that enhancements to pgpool.

Well I know that Replicator could also use this functionality.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Tatsuo Ishii

Is there any other solution than a Cluster for our problem ?

Bigger server, more CPUs/disks in one box. Try to partition up your
data some way such that it can be spread across multiple machines, then
if you need to combine the data have it be replicated using slony to a
big box that has a view which joins all the tables and do your big
queries against that.

But I'll arrive to limitation of a box size quickly I thing a 4
processors with 64 Gb of RAM ... and after ?

Opteron.

IBM Z-series, or other big iron.

Go to non-x86 hardware after if you're going to continue to increase the
size of the server.  Personally I think your better bet might be to
figure out a way to partition up your data (isn't that what google
does anyway?).

Stephen

--
Darcy Buskermolen
Wavefire Technologies Corp.

+1-503-667-4564 - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.commandprompt.com

begin:vcard
fn:Joshua Drake
n:Drake;Joshua
org:Command Prompt, Inc.
adr:;;PO Box 215 ;Cascade Locks;OR;97014;US
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Consultant
tel;work:503-667-4564
tel;fax:503-210-0334