=?windows-1250?Q?Miroslav_=8Aulc?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> seriously, I am far below this level of knowledge. But I can contribute
> a test that (maybe) can help. I have rewritten the query so it JOINs the
> varchar() fields (in fact all fields except the IDPK) at the last INNER
> JOIN. Though there is one more JOIN, the query is more than 5 times
> faster (1975.312 ms) :-)

That confirms my thought that passing the data up through multiple
levels of join is what's killing us.  I'll work on a solution.  This
will of course be even less back-patchable to 8.0.* than Ogawa's work,
but hopefully it will fix the issue for 8.1.

                        regards, tom lane

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster