On Apr 27, 2005, at 7:46 PM, Greg Stark wrote:

In fact I think it's generally superior to having a layer like pgpool having
to hand off all your database communication. Having to do an extra context
switch to handle every database communication is crazy.

I suppose this depends on how many machines / how much traffic you have.

In one setup I run here I get away with 32 * 4 db connections instead of 500 * 4. Pretty simple to see the savings on the db machine. (Yes, it is a "bad design" as you said where static & dynamic content are served from the same box. However it also saves money since I don't need machines sitting around serving up pixel.gif vs myBigApplication.cgi)

--
Jeff Trout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.jefftrout.com/

---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?