conn.setAutoCommit(false);
pst = conn.prepareStatement("INSERT INTO tmp (...) VALUES (?,?)");
for (int i = 0; i < len; i++) {
   pst.setInt(0, 2);
   pst.setString(1, "xxx");
   pst.addBatch();
}
pst.executeBatch();
conn.commit();

This snip takes 1.3 secs in postgresql. How can I lower that?

You're batching them as one transaction, and using a prepared query both of which are good. I guess the next step for a great performance improvement is to use the COPY command. However, you'd have to find out how to access that via Java.

I have a nasty suspicion that the release JDBC driver doesn't support it and you may have to apply a patch.

Ask on pgsql-jdbc@postgresql.org perhaps.

Chris