On 12 May 2005, at 18:33, Josh Berkus wrote:

People,

In general I think your point is valid. Just remember that it probably
also matters how you count page views. Because technically images are a
separate page (and this thread did discuss serving up images). So if
there are 20 graphics on a specific page, that is 20 server hits just
for that one page.

Also, there's bots and screen-scrapers and RSS, web e-mails, and web services
and many other things which create hits but are not "people". I'm currently
working on clickstream for a site which is nowhere in the top 100, and is
getting 3 million real hits a day ... and we know for a fact that at least
1/4 of that is bots.

I doubt bots are generally Alexa toolbar enabled.

Regardless, the strategy you should be employing for a high traffic site is
that if your users hit the database for anything other than direct
interaction (like filling out a webform) then you're lost. Use memcached,
squid, lighttpd caching, ASP.NET caching, pools, etc. Keep the load off the
database except for the stuff that only the database can do.

This is the aproach I would take as well. There is no point storing stuff in a DB, if your only doing direct lookups on it and it isn't the sort of data that you care so much about the integrity of.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend