Insert into a temp table then use INSERT INTO...SELECT FROM to insert all rows into the proper table that don't have a relationship.

Chris

Dan Harris wrote:
I am working on a process that will be inserting tens of million rows and need this to be as quick as possible.

The catch is that for each row I could potentially insert, I need to look and see if the relationship is already there to prevent multiple entries. Currently I am doing a SELECT before doing the INSERT, but I recognize the speed penalty in doing to operations. I wonder if there is some way I can say "insert this record, only if it doesn't exist already". To see if it exists, I would need to compare 3 fields instead of just enforcing a primary key.

Even if this could be a small increase per record, even a few percent faster compounded over the whole load could be a significant reduction.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

-Dan

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

      match