On Jul 28, 2005, at 8:38 AM, Chris Hoover wrote:

I did some more testing, and ran the explain analyze on the problem.
In my session I did a set enable_hashjoin = false and then ran the
analyze.  This caused it to use the indexes as I have been expecting
it to do.

Now, how can I get it to use the indexes w/o manipulating the
environment?  What make postgresql want to sequentially scan and use a
hash join?

thanks,

Chris

explain analyze with set_hashjoin=false;
prob_db=#explain analyze select * from clm_com;

I had something similar to this happen recently. The planner was choosing a merge join and seq scan because my 'random_page_cost' was set too high. I had it at 3 , and ended up settling at 1.8 to get it to correctly use my indices. Once that change was in place, the planner did the 'right' thing for me.

Not sure if this will help you, but it sounds similar.

-Dan

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster