The common explanation is that CPUs are so fast now that it doesn't make a difference. From my experience software raid works very, very well. However I have never put
software raid on anything that is very heavily loaded.

        Even for RAID5 ? it uses a bit more CPU for the parity calculations.
An advantage of software raid, is that if the RAID card dies, you have to buy the same one ; whether I think that you can transfer a bunch of software RAID5 disks to another machine if the machine they're in dies...