The Apple is, as you say, cheap (except, the Apple markup on the disks
fuzzes that a bit). Its easy to set up, and has been quite reliable for me,
but do not expect anything resembling good DB performance out of it (I gave
up running anything but backup DBs on it). From the mouth of Apple guys, it
(and Xsan) are heavily optimized for sequential access. They want to sell
piles of these to the music/film industry, where they have some cred. Oracle
has apparently gotten some performance gains through raw device pixie dust
and voodoo, but even as a (reluctant, kicking-and-screaming) Oracle guy I
wouldn't go there.

Other goofy things about it: it isn't 1 device with 14 disks and redundant
controllers. Its 2 7 disk arrays with non-redundant controllers. It doesn't
do RAID10.

If you want a gob-o-space with no performance requirements, its fine.
Otherwise...