Well,

I think that the documentation is not exactly easy to understand. I always wondered why there are no examples for common postgresql configurations. All I know is that the default configuration seems to be too low for production use. And while running postgres I get no hints as to which setting needs to be increased to improve performance. I have no chance to see if my FSM settings are too low other than to run vacuum full verbose in psql, pipe the result to a text file and grep for some words to get a somewhat comprehensive idea of how much unused space there is in my system.

Don't get me wrong - I really like PostgreSQL and it works well in my application. But somehow I feel that it might run much better ...

about the FSM: You say that increasing the FSM is fairly cheap - how should I know that?

did you read my post? In the first part I explained why I don't want
to increase the FSM that much.

No, you didn't.  You explained *that* you thought you didn't want to
increase the FSM.  You didn't explain why.

FSM expansion comes fairly cheap  ...

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq