Nate Byrnes wrote:
I must claim some ignorance, I come from the application world... but, from a data integrity perspective, it makes a whole lot of sense to store video, images, documents, whatever in the database rather than on the file system external to it. Personally, I would use LOB's, but I do not know the internals well enough to say LOBs or large columns. Regardless, there are a lot of compelling reasons ranging from software maintenance, disk management, data access control, single security layer implementation, and so on which justify storing data like this in the DB. Am I too much of an Oracle guy?

Yes, you are too much of an Oracle guy ;-).  Oracle got this notion that they
could conquer the world, that EVERYTHING should be in an Oracle database.  I
think they even built a SAMBA file system on top of Oracle.  It's like a hammer
manufacturer telling you the hammer is also good for screws and for gluing.  It
just ain't so.

You can store videos in a database, but there will be a price.  You're asking
the database to do something that the file system is already exceptionally good
at: store big files.

You make one good point about security:  A database can provide a single point
of access control.  Storing the videos externally requires a second mechanism.
That's not necessarily bad -- you probably have a middleware layer, which can
ensure that it won't deliver the goods unless the user has successfully
connected to the database.

Craig

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster