Tom Lane wrote:
Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Tons of difference :/

Have you checked that the I/O performance is comparable?  It seems
possible that there's something badly misconfigured about the disks
on your new machine.  Benchmarking with "bonnie" or some such would
be useful; also try looking at "iostat 1" output while running the
inserts on both machines.

I'll check out bonnie, thanks.

hdparm shows a world of difference (which I can understand) - that being the old server is a lot slower.

hdparm -t /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   24 MB in  3.13 seconds =   7.67 MB/sec

hdparm -T /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:   596 MB in  2.00 seconds = 298.00 MB/sec

Newer server:
hdparm -t /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   70 MB in  3.02 seconds =  23.15 MB/sec

hdparm -T /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:   1512 MB in  2.00 seconds = 754.44 MB/sec

Also, are the inserts just trivial "insert values (... some constants ...)"
or is there more to it than that?

Straight inserts, no foreign keys, triggers etc.

The only other thing I can see is the old server is ext2:
/dev/hda4 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro)

the new one is ext3:
/dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw)

If it's a server issue not a postgres issue I'll keep playing :) I thought my config was bad but I guess not.

Thanks for all the help.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/