Hi, Daniel,

Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> One big transaction every 5 minutes using 'COPY FROM' (instead of
> inserts).

Are you using "COPY table FROM '/path/to/file'", having the file sitting
on the server, or "COPY table FROM STDIN" or psql "/copy", having the
file sitting on the client?

>From our tests, having the file on the server can speed up the things by
 factor 2 or 3 in some cases.

Also, using BINARY copy may give great benefits due to lower parsing
overhead.

As you say you're I/O bound, spreading tables, indices, wal and input
file to different spindles won't help you much.

HTH
Markus

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq