Craig A. James wrote:
Richard Huxton wrote:
If a "kill -9" as root doesn't get rid of them, I think I'm right in saying that it's a kernel-level problem rather than something else.

Sorry I didn't clarify that. "kill -9" did kill them. Other signals did not. It wasn't until I manually intervened with the "kill -9" that the system began the recovery process.

Ah, when you said "unkillable" in the first msg I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

In that case, see Tom's answer.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd