Rajesh Kumar Mallah a écrit :

On 12/5/06, *Tom Lane* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    Jean Arnaud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> writes:
    > Is there a relation between database size and PostGreSQL restart
    duration ?

    No.

    > Does anyone now the behavior of restart time ?

    It depends on how many updates were applied since the last checkpoint
    before the crash.

    If you're talking about startup of a cleanly-shut-down database, it
    should be pretty much constant time.

Dear Sir,

Startup time of a clean shutdown database is constant. But we still
face problem when it comes to shutting down. PostgreSQL waits
for clients to finish gracefully. till date i have never been able to shutdown quickly (web application scenerio) and i tend to do pg_ctl -m immediate stop
mostly.
                            regards, tom lane

Hi

Thanks everybody for answers !

To be sure SGBD will stop before a certain time, I use function that is a combination of pg_ctl -m fast to stop most of process cleanly, and after few seconds, I send pg_ctl -m immediate to be shut down immediatly the system if not already stoped. This works pretty well in practice and offers a good compromise between clean and fast shutdown.

Cheers

--
--- Jean Arnaud
--- Projet SARDES --- INRIA Rhône-Alpes