I'm curious what parameters you guys typically *always* adjust on new
PostgreSQL installs.

I am working with a database that contains several large tables (10-20
million) and many smaller tables (hundreds of rows).  My system has 2 GB
of RAM currently, although I will be upping it to 4GB soon.

My motivation in asking this question is to make sure I'm not making a
big configuration no-no by missing a parameter, and also for my own
checklist of parameters I should almost always set when configuring a
new install.

The parameters that I almost always change when installing a new system
is shared_buffers, max_fsm_pages, checkpoint_segments, and
effective_cache_size.

Are there any parameters missing that always should be changed when
deploying to a decent server?