Erik Jones wrote:
Hmm... This gets stranger and stranger. When connecting to the database with the psql client in 8.2's bin directory and using commands such as \d the client hangs, or takes an extremely long time. If we connect to the same 8.2 database with a psql client from 8.1.4, both remotely and locally, \d responds immediately. Could the issue be with the client programs somehow?

Couldn't be some DNS problems that only affect the 8.2 client I suppose?

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd