On May 18, 2007, at 11:40 AM, Liviu Ionescu wrote:

8.1 might have similar problems, but the point here is different: if what was manually tuned to work in 8.1 confuses the 8.2 planner and performance drops so much (from 2303 to 231929 ms in my case) upgrading a production
machine to 8.2 is a risky business. I probably have hundreds of sql

Doing any major software version upgrade on any production system is suicidal without first vetting your entire stack against the proposed upgrades. For best results, verify even minor version upgrades on test systems first, with full testing of your app.

We do.  It has saved us many times.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend