I am re-running it with other tuning, notably cost-based vacuum delay and less frequent checkpoints, and it is a *lot* smoother. These take a full night to run, so I'll post more results when I have usefull stuff to show.
    This has proven to be a very interesting trip to benchmarkland...

[ rather late in my reply but I had to ]

Are you tuning mysql in a similar fashion ?

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/

      match