Andrew Sullivan wrote:
On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 03:26:56PM -0600, Dan Harris wrote:
They don't always have to be in a single transaction, that's a good idea to break it up and vacuum in between, I'll consider that. Thanks

If you can do it this way, it helps _a lot_.  I've had to do this
sort of thing, and breaking into groups of a couple thousand or so
really made the difference.

One more point in my original post.. For my own education, why does VACUUM FULL prevent reads to a table when running (I'm sure there's a good reason)? I can certainly understand blocking writes, but if I could still read from it, I'd have no problems at all!

-Dan

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq