PFC,

Correct. I use a pyro-remote server. On request this remote server copies
> the relevant rows into a temporary table, uses a copy_to Call to push
> them
> into a StringIO-Objekt (that's Pythons version of "In Memory File"),
> serializes that StringIO-Objekt, does a bz2-compression and transfers
the
> whole block via VPN.

      What about a SSH tunnel using data compression ?
Setup on multiple Windows Workstations in multiple Installations is not
possible.

If you fetch all rows from a query in one go, would it be fast ?
I tried the same copy_to via VPN. It took 10-50x the time it took locally.

Also, PG can now COPY from a query, so you don't really need the temp
table...
I know, but was stuck to 8.1 on some servers.

Best wishes,

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa