Tom Lane wrote:
Dan Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Here's the strace summary as run for a few second sample:

% time     seconds  usecs/call     calls    errors syscall
------ ----------- ----------- --------- --------- ----------------
  97.25    0.671629          92      7272           semop
   1.76    0.012171         406        30           recvfrom
   0.57    0.003960          66        60           gettimeofday
   0.36    0.002512          28        90           sendto
   0.05    0.000317          10        32           lseek
   0.01    0.000049           1        48           select
------ ----------- ----------- --------- --------- ----------------
100.00    0.690638                  7532           total

Here's the query:
select id from eventkeywords where word = '00003322'

How sure are you that (a) that's really what it's doing and (b) you are
not observing multiple executions of the query?  There are no recvfrom
calls in the inner loops of the backend AFAIR, so this looks to me like
the execution of 30 different queries.  The number of semops is
distressingly high, but that's a contention issue not an
amount-of-runtime issue.

You were absolutely right. This is one connection that is doing a whole lot of ( slow ) queries. I jumped the gun on this and assumed it was a single query taking this long. Sorry to waste time and bandwidth.

Since you mentioned the number of semops is distressingly high, does this indicate a tuning problem? The machine has 64GB of RAM and as far as I can tell about 63GB is all cache. I wonder if this is a clue to an undervalued memory-related setting somewhere?

-Dan

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend