On Nov 16, 2007, at 7:38 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
The table was quite huge (say 20k of products along with detailed
descriptions etc.) and was completely updated and about 12x each day, i.e. it qrew to about 12x the original size (and 11/12 of the rows were dead).
This caused a serious slowdown of the application each day, as the
database had to scan 12x more data.

FWIW, 20k rows isn't all that big, so I'm assuming that the descriptions make the table very wide. Unless those descriptions are what's being updated frequently, I suggest you put those in a separate table (vertical partitioning). That will make the main table much easier to vacuum, as well as reducing the impact of the high churn rate.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  [EMAIL PROTECTED]