Matthew wrote:
On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Dimi Paun wrote:
 * bad performance on queries of the form:
   select * from ipTable where  ipFrom <= val and val <= ipTo

This type of query is very hard for a normal B-tree index to answer. For example, say val is half-way between min and max values. If you have an index on ipFrom, it will be able to restrict the entries to about half of them, which is no real benefit over a sequential scan. Likewise, an index on ipTo will be able to restrict the entries to half of them, with no benefit. The intersection of these two halves may be just one entry, but finding that out is non-trivial. An index bitmap scan would do it if you can persuade Postgres to do that, but really you want an R-tree index on the two columns, like I have requested in the past.

If I understood the original post correctly, the ipFrom and ipTo columns actually split a single linear ip address space into non-overlapping chunks. Something like this:

ipFrom  ipTo
1       10
10      20
20      50
50      60

In that case, a regular index on (ipFrom, ipTo) should work just fine, and that's what he's got. Actually, an index on just ipFrom would probably work just as well. The problem is that the planner doesn't know about that special relationship between ipFrom and ipTo. Perhaps it could be hinted by explicitly specifying "AND ipTo > ipFrom" in the query?

I don't know why the single index lookup took > 300ms, though. That does seem high to me.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas