On Apr 11, 2008, at 7:22 AM, Albe Laurenz wrote:
After some time of trial and error we found that changing the I/O scheduling
algorithm to "deadline" improved I/O performance by a factor 4 (!) for
this specific load test.

I was inspired once again to look into this - as I'm recently hitting some glass ceilings with my machines.

I have a little app I wrote called pgiosim (its on pgfoundry - http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgiosim) that basically just opens some files, and does random seeks and 8kB reads, much like what our beloved PG does.

Using 4 of these with a dataset of about 30GB across a few files (Machine has 8GB mem) I went from around 100 io/sec to 330 changing to noop. Quite an improvement. If you have a decent controller CFQ is not what you want. I tried deadline as well and it was a touch slower. The controller is a 3ware 9550sx with 4 disks in a raid10.

I'll be trying this out on the big array later today. I found it suprising this info wasn't more widespread (the use of CFQ on a good controller).

it also seems changing elevators on the fly works fine (echo schedulername > /sys/block/.../queue/scheduler I admit I sat there flipping back and forth going "disk go fast.. disk go slow.. disk go fast... " :)

--
Jeff Trout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.stuarthamm.net/