On 16.04.2008, at 01:24, PFC wrote:

The queries in question (select's) occasionally take up to 5 mins even if they take ~2-3 sec under "normal" conditions, there are no sequencial scans done in those queries. There are not many users connected (around 3, maybe) to this database usually since it's still in a testing phase. I tried to hunt down the problem by playing around with resource usage cfg options but it didn't really made a difference.

        Could that be caused by a CHECKPOINT ?

actually there are a few log (around 12 per day) entries concerning checkpoints:

LOG:  checkpoints are occurring too frequently (10 seconds apart)
HINT: Consider increasing the configuration parameter "checkpoint_segments".

But wouldn't that only affect write performance? The main problems I'm concerned about affect SELECT queries.

Regards,

Tom

PS: WAL settings are all set to defaults.