Florian Weimer wrote:
* Craig James:

There are some run-time environments which allocate huge chunks of
memory on startup, without marking them as not yet in use.  SBCL is in
this category, and also the Hotspot VM (at least some extent).
I stand by my assertion: It never makes sense.  Do these
applications allocate a terrabyte of memory?  I doubt it.

SBCL sizes its allocated memory region based on the total amount of
RAM and swap space.  In this case, buying larger disks does not
help. 8-P

SBCL, as Steel Bank Common Lisp? Why would you run that on a server machine
alongside Postgres? If I had to use SBLC and Postgres, I'd put SBLC on a
separate machine all its own, so that it couldn't corrupt Postgres or other
servers that had to be reliable.

Are you saying that if I bought a terrabyte of swap disk, SBLC would allocate a
terrabyte of space?

Craig