Greg Stark wrote:
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
<ste...@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
Good to know!!! I imagine that on a PS3 it would be _really_ fast... :-)
well not really - while it is fairly easy to get postgresql running on a PS3
it is not a fast platform. While the main CPU there is a pretty fast Power
based core it only has 256MB of Ram and a single SATA disk available(though
you could add some USB disks).

The nice thing about it is that TPC-C and other benchmarks all specify
their bottom-line number in some unit like Transaction per second PER
DOLLAR. So using a PS3 should be able to get ridiculously good results
compared to expensive server hardware...

I kinda doubt that - the PS3 is certainly not server grade hardware so you can only compare it to a desktop and I would bet that the typical desktop you get for the 400€(you can get >4GB RAM a quadcore CPU for that) price of a PS3 is going to outperform it significantly for almost every workload...

Stefan