On Thu, 21 May 2009, Robert Schnabel wrote:

A word of warning for anyone out there considering the Seagate 1.5TB SATA drives (ST31500341AS)...I'm going through a fiasco right now with these drives and I wish I had purchased more when I did.

Those drives are involved in the worst firmware debacle Seagate has had in years, so no surprise they're causing problems for you just like so many others. I don't think you came to the right conclusion for how to avoid this pain in the future though--buying more garbage drives isn't really satisfying.

What you should realize is to never assemble a production server using newly designed drives. Always stay at least 6 months and at least one generation behind the state of the art. All the drive manufacturers right now are lucky if they can deliver a reliable 1TB drive, nobody has a reliable 1.5TB or larger drive yet. (Check out the miserable user ratings for all the larger capacity drives available right now on sites like newegg.com if you don't believe me) Right now, Seagate's 1.5TB drive is 7 months old, and I'd still consider it bleeding edge for server use.

--
* Greg Smith gsm...@gregsmith.com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD