On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Mark Stosberg wrote:
What I'm noticing is that the while the FreeBSD server has 4 Gigs of
memory, there are rarely every more than 2 in use-- the memory use
graphs as being rather constant. My goal is to make good use of those 2
Gigs of memory to improve performance and reduce the CPU usage.

I think you'll find that the RAM is already being used quite effectively as disc cache by the OS. It sounds like the server is actually set up pretty well. You may get slightly better performance by tweaking a thing here or there, but the server needs some OS disc cache to perform well.

(We currently run 8.2, but are planning an upgrade to 8.4 "soon").

Highly recommended.

[I tried to post this yesterday but didn't see it come through. This
message is a second attempt.)

The mailing list server will silently chuck any message whose subject starts with the word "help", just in case you're asking for help about managing the mailing list. The default behaviour is not to inform you that it has done so. It is highly annoying - could a list admin please consider changing this?

Matthew

--
I would like to think that in this day and age people would know better than
to open executables in an e-mail. I'd also like to be able to flap my arms