Madison Kelly wrote:

You are right, autovacuum is not running after all. From your comment, I am wondering if you'd recommend I turn it on or not?...

I see you are considering an upgrade but FWIW on your 8.1 instance, my remaining 8.1 server has been running for years with it on. Read up on it at:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/maintenance.html#AUTOVACUUM

Basically you need to turn on some stats stuff so autovacuum can determine when to run (in postgresql.conf):
stats_start_collector = on
stats_row_level = on

And you need to enable autovacuum (in postgresql.conf):
autovacuum = on
autovacuum_naptime = 300 # time between autovacuum runs, in secs

Then you can tune it if you need to but at least it will be looking for things that are vacuumworthy every 5 minutes.

Cheers,
Steve