On Sat, 17 Apr 2010, Віталій Тимчишин wrote:
As of making planner more clever, may be it is possible to introduce
division on "fast queries" and "long queries", so that if after fast
planning cost is greater then some configurable threshold, advanced planning
techniques (or settings) are used. As far as I have seen in this list, many
techniques are not used simply because they are too complex and could make
planning take too much time for really fast queries, but they are vital for
long ones.

+1. That's definitely a good idea in my view. The query optimiser I wrote (which sits on top of Postgres and makes use of materialised views to speed up queries) uses a similar approach - it expends effort proportional to the estimated cost of the query, as reported by EXPLAIN.

Matthew

--
To most people, solutions mean finding the answers. But to chemists,
solutions are things that are still all mixed up.