On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Dave Crooke <dcro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't hold MySQL up to be a particularly good implmentation of
> anything, other than speed (MyISAM) and usability (the CLI) .... I find
> Oracle's JDBC implmentation to be both user friendly and (largely) standards
> compliant.

Dave,

I've been following along at home and agree with you right up until you
mention the MySQL CLI being usable.  I work with the thing every day.  The
plain, vanilla install on my Ubuntu laptop lacks proper readline support.
 Hitting ctrl-c will sometimes kill the running query and sometimes kill the
CLI.  Its far from a paragon of usability.  That last time I used psql it
didn't have any of those issues.

Full disclosure:  mysql does have proper readline support on a Centos
machine I have access to.  ctrl-c still kills the shell.

Your other points are good though.

--Nik