On Fri, 28 May 2010, Merlin Moncure wrote:
At best, if you are a ninja with the marginally documented backend
api, you will create code that goes about as fast as your pl/pgsql
function for 10 times the amount of input work, unless there are heavy
amounts of 'other than sql' code in your function.  The reason to
write C in the backend is:

*) Interface w/3rd party libraries w/C linkage
*) Do things that are illegal in regular SQL (write files, etc)
*) Make custom types

The major case I found when writing pl/pgsql was when trying to build arrays row by row. AFAIK when I tried it, adding a row to an array caused the whole array to be copied, which put a bit of a damper on performance.

Matthew

--
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;