Matthew Wakeling wrote:
This sort of thing has been fairly well researched at an academic level, but has not been implemented in that many real world situations. I would encourage its use in Postgres.

I guess, but don't forget that work on PostgreSQL is driven by what problems people are actually running into. There's a long list of performance improvements sitting in the TODO list waiting for people to find time to work on them, ones that we're quite certain are useful. That anyone is going to chase after any of these speculative ideas from academic research instead of one of those is unlikely. Your characterization of the potential speed up here is "Using a proper tree inside the index page would improve the CPU usage of the index lookups", which seems quite reasonable. Regardless, when I consider "is that something I have any reason to suspect is a bottleneck on common workloads?", I don't think of any, and return to working on one of things I already know is instead.

g...@2ndquadrant.com   www.2ndQuadrant.us