On 07/10/2011 02:31 PM, Samuel Gendler wrote:
What about partitioning tables by tenant id and then maintaining indexes on each partition independent of tenant id, since constraint exclusion should handle filtering by tenant id for you. That seems like a potentially more tolerable variant of #5 How many tenants are we talking about? I gather partitioning starts to become problematic when the number of partitions gets large.

I thought I had replied... Apparently I didn't.

The database can grow in two dimensions: The number of tenants and the number of rows per tenant. We have many tenants with relatively little data and a few with a lot of data. So the number of tenants
is known ahead of time and might be 1000's.

-- Lars