On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Jon Nelson <jnelson+pg...@jamponi.net> writes:
>> The config shows 128MB for work_mem and 2GB for maintenance_work_mem.
>> Why does PostgreSQL /sometimes/ use the globally-configured values and
>> sometimes use the values that come from the connection?
>
> You sure those log entries are all from the same process?

If I am understanding this correctly, yes. They all share the same pid.
The logline format is:

log_line_prefix = '%t %d %u [%p]'

and I believe %p represents the pid, and also that a pid corresponds
to a backend. Therefore, same pid == same backend == same connection
== same session. Many transactions within a session.

--
Jon