On Tuesday, December 11, 2012, Tom Lane wrote:

> Jeff Janes <jeff.ja...@gmail.com <javascript:;>> writes:
> > On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:50 AM, Patryk Sidzina
> > <patryk.sidz...@gmail.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >> The differences come up when you change the "INSERT" to "EXECUTE
> 'INSERT'" (
> >> and i checked this time on 3 machines, one of which was Windows):
>
> >> FOR i IN 1..cnt LOOP
> >> EXECUTE 'INSERT INTO test_table_md_speed(n) VALUES (' || i || ')';
> >> END LOOP;
>
> > The culprit is the commit below.  I don't know exactly why this slows
> > down your case.  A preliminary oprofile analysis suggests that it most
> > of the slowdown is that it calls AllocSetAlloc more often.  I suspect
> > that this slow-down will be considered acceptable trade-off for
> > getting good parameterized plans.
>
> I'm having a hard time getting excited about optimizing the above case:
> the user can do far more to make it fast than we can, simply by not
> using EXECUTE, which is utterly unnecessary in this example.

I assumed his example was an intentionally simplified test-case, not a real
world use-case.

For a more realistic use, see "[PERFORM] Performance on Bulk Insert to
Partitioned Table".  There too it would probably be best to get rid of the
EXECUTE, but doing so in that case would certainly have a high cost in
trigger-code complexity and maintainability.  (In my test case of loading
1e7 narrow tuples to 100 partitions, the plan cache change lead to a 26%
slow down)

> Having said that, though, it's not real clear to me why the plancache
> changes would have affected the speed of EXECUTE at all --- the whole
> point of that command is we don't cache a plan for the query.

Doing a bottom level profile isn't helpful because all of the extra time is
in very low level code that is called from everywhere.  Doing call-counts
with gprof, I see that there is big increase in the calls to copyObject
(which indirectly leads to a big increase in AllocSetAlloc).  Before the
change, each EXECUTE had one top-level (i.e. nonrecursive) copyObject call,
coming from _SPI_prepare_plan.

After the change, each EXECUTE has 4 such top-level copyObject calls, one
each from CreateCachedPlan and CompleteCachedPlan and two
from BuildCachedPlan.

Cheers,

Jeff