Start off, I'm new to postgres.  I'm running Ubuntu 10.04.04 with postgres 9.1
on a VM with 32 GB of RAM.

I'm trying to increase the response time on submitted queries.  I'm comparing
the same queries to a SQL Server instance with the same data sets.

The queries are used in our Analytics environments.
The parameters we have modified on postgresql.confi are the following:

*         shared_buffers = 24MB to 512 MB to 4GB

*         work_mem = 1MB to 512MB to 1GB

*         maintenance_work = 16MB to 1GB

*         temp_buffers = 8MB to 1GB

*         effective_cache_size = 128MB to 1024MB to 16GB

*         autovacuum = on to off

Currently the queries are running about 4x slower on postgres than sql server.
Is there any settings I need to check?

Thanks
Kristian