Hi Aidan,

> T420
> work_mem = 512MB
>
> MacMini
> work_mem = 32MB
>
> So that is why the T420 does memory sorts and the mini does disk sorts.
>
> I'd start looking at why memory sorts on the T420 is so slow.   Check your
> numa settings, etc (as already mentioned).
>
> For a drastic test, disable the 2nd socket on the dell, and just use one
> (eliminate any numa/QPI costs) and see how it compares to the no-numa MacMini.

the command
dmesg | grep -i numa
doesn’t display me anything. I think T420 hasn’t NUMA on it. Is there a way to
enable it from Ubuntu? I don’t have immediate access to BIOS (server is in
another location).
For QPI I don’t know what to do. Please, can you give me more details?

> If you want to see how bad the NUMA/QPI is, play with stream to benchmark
> memory performance.

With stream you refer to this:
https://sites.utexas.edu/jdm4372/tag/stream-benchmark/ ? Do you suggest me some
way to do this kind of tests?