This is 9.5, sorry I didnt mention that in the initial post. I am guessing
the issue is that the secondary non-indexed criteria is a search through a
jsonb column?

Let me know if I can provide any additional info, as I stated I am working
around it with a subquery at the moment.  This seems like it may become a
more frequent ad-hoc need so if there is something else I can do it would
be appreciated.