Very helpful thank you for the additional insight - I'd never checked into
pg_stats and that does reveal a difference in the distribution of the
validation_status_code between qa and production:

prod:
│ most_common_vals       │ {P,F}                  │
│ most_common_freqs      │ {0.925967,0.000933333} │
│ histogram_bounds       │ ❏                      │
│ correlation            │ 0.995533               │

qa:
│ most_common_vals │ {P} │
│ most_common_freqs │ {0.861633} │
│ histogram_bounds │ ❏ │
│ correlation │ 0.999961 │

so the way I am reading this is that there is likely no sensible way to
avoid postgres thinking it will just have to scan the whole table because
of these statistics.  I can force it by setting session parameters for this
particular query but I probably shouldnt be looking at system settings to
brutally force random fetches.

thanks again for the assistance!